TYPE OF ASSIGNMENT:
Volunteer Cooperant (VC/OS)
Unaccompanied assignment - This assignment does not include support for accompanying partners or dependants
Farmers Union of Malawi
MALAWI , Lilongwe
EXPECTED DEPARTURE DATE:
Departure date is contingent upon completion of administrative file and approval of visa. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis and position will remain open until filled.
Uniterra is a leading Canadian international volunteer cooperation and development program, jointly implemented by the Centre for International Studies and Cooperation (CECI) and World University Service of Canada (WUSC).
Uniterra contributes to improving the socio-economic conditions of poor and marginalized communities in 14 countries and with over 200 partners in Africa, Asia and the Americas through the exchange of expertise and knowledge of Canadian and international volunteers. Uniterra believes that economic growth, when inclusive, is the most powerful driver of poverty reduction. The purpose of the Uniterra program is to improve the lives of some of the world’s most vulnerable populations by stimulating growth and facilitating access to the benefits of growing and diversified markets. To make this happen, we are working with our local partners to enhance the income of poor and marginalized women and youth through better access to employment and income generation opportunities. Uniterra country program staff work with our local partners to design Uniterra assignments in the context of the country strategy, supporting the inclusion of women and youth in key economic subsectors.
For more information on the Uniterra program, our approach and countries of focus please visit: Uniterra.ca
Under the direction of the Malawi Country Director and team, the Youth Engagement Advisor volunteer will contribute to the implementation of the Uniterra program in Malawi as it relates to youth engagement and entrepreneurship development.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Facilitate training and learning opportunities for Uniterra program partners, staff and volunteers on youth inclusion and engagement;
- Follow-up with interested partners to develop related strategies and tools;
- Strengthen current strategies of partners and the Uniterra program in Malawi, and support the development of further strategies that align with program goals of youth participation in business and economic activities, and increasing levels of employment and income;
- Develop innovative youth empowerment activities and trainings that can be adapted to and used by partners in their projects, and the Uniterra program innovative intervention strategy;
- Ensure the meaningful and appropriate participation and representation of women and youth in all activities and program benefits; and
- Produce reports required by partners and the Uniterra program.
- Degree and/or formal training in a relevant discipline (e.g. community development)
- Passionate and knowledgeable about working with youth
- Minimum 2 years of experience in community development with a focus on youth (e.g. engagement and participation)
- Experience with participatory training and facilitation methodologies
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Adaptability, flexibility, excellent team working skills and cultural sensitivity
- International development or regional work experience is an asset
- Interest and experience in business and/or entrepreneurship is an asset
VOLUNTEER BENEFITS AND SUPPORT:
- Support and guidance prior to departure and while on assignment in country.
- Participation in a pre-departure training where you will have the opportunity to learn about the program, gain practical skills for living and working in an intercultural context and meet other volunteers. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- In-country orientation and briefing upon arrival in-country.
- Language training in-country where required.
- Return flights, visas and work permits.
- Cost of required country specific vaccinations and antimalarials.
- Health insurance.
- Modest monthly living allowance while overseas.
- Accommodation while overseas.
- Vacation leave entitlement.
- Return debriefing in Canada after completion of assignment. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- An incredible opportunity to enhance your professional skills and participate in an experience of a lifetime!
- Applicants must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada between the age of 18-70.
- Departure date is contingent upon the timely completion of all administrative requirements (e.g. visa processes, medical clearance, police checks, travel documentation).
- With the support of the program, all volunteers shall undertake to make a minimum financial contribution of $1,500 for participating in the program.
- You must ensure that you have a SYGESCA session open and that your profile contains a curriculum vitae before applying for the position.