TYPE OF ASSIGNMENT:
Volunteer Cooperant (VC/OS)
Unaccompanied assignment - This assignment does not include support for accompanying partners or dependants
Hambantota District Chamber of Commerce
SRI LANKA , Hambanthota
EXPECTED DEPARTURE DATE:
Departure date is contingent upon completion of administrative file and approval of visa. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis and position will remain open until filled.
Uniterra is a leading Canadian international volunteer cooperation and development program, jointly implemented by the Centre for International Studies and Cooperation (CECI) and World University Service of Canada (WUSC).
Uniterra contributes to improving the socio-economic conditions of poor and marginalized communities in 14 countries and with over 200 partners in Africa, Asia and the Americas through the exchange of expertise and knowledge of Canadian and international volunteers. Uniterra believes that economic growth, when inclusive, is the most powerful driver of poverty reduction. The purpose of the Uniterra program is to improve the lives of some of the world’s most vulnerable populations by stimulating growth and facilitating access to the benefits of growing and diversified markets. To make this happen, we are working with our local partners to enhance the income of poor and marginalized women and youth through better access to employment and income generation opportunities. Uniterra country program staff work with our local partners to design Uniterra assignments in the context of the country strategy, supporting the inclusion of women and youth in key economic subsectors.
For more information on the Uniterra program, our approach and countries of focus please visit: Uniterra.ca
Hambanthota Chamber of Commerce’s (HDCC) key roles are to prepare our business community to face challenges by identifying, planning and implementing relevant projects and programmes which will benefit them and our district as a whole. Currently, this means ensuring that the business community is properly prepared to take the advantage of the changes that will come to the district as a result of the major development projects already underway and planned for the southern region. In recent years, HDCC has been able to go beyond the original concept of a Chamber of Commerce and has opened up a number of special projects aimed specifically at the overall economic development of the district - particularly by making use of the national and international partnerships that have been built up over the years.
The HDCC promotes tourism under the name of “deepsouth” in the southern Sri Lanka and promoting the tourism through www.deepsouth.lk.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work with Tangalle &Tissamaharamaya Tourism Associations on the following areas:
- Training on business promotion/ linkages;
- Leverage current associations to be connected with each other/ networking;
- Planning digital marketing campaigns including web, emails, marketing database, social media and display advertising;
- Maintain social media presences across all digital channels;
- Measuring and reporting on the performance of all digital marketing campaigns
- Brainstorm new and growth strategies;
- Train local partners to continue work have been done when the absenteeism of volunteers;
- Identify trends and insights, and optimize spend and performance based on the insights;
- Consolidate the results, document best practices and participate in the implementation of exit strategies;
- Ensure the particiaption of women and youth in all program activities; and
- Draft reports as required for the partner organization and the Uniterra program.
- General Degree from a reputable University;
- Excellent writing skills in English;
- Knowledge of tourism promotions apps such as Airbnb, Booking.com, Tripadvisor, lonely planet etc.;
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team;
- Cultural sensitivity;
- At least 3 years work experience in Marketing and digital advertising.
- Tourism Management
VOLUNTEER BENEFITS AND SUPPORT:
- Support and guidance prior to departure and while on assignment in country.
- Participation in a pre-departure training where you will have the opportunity to learn about the program, gain practical skills for living and working in an intercultural context and meet other volunteers. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- In-country orientation and briefing upon arrival in-country.
- Language training in-country where required.
- Return flights, visas and work permits.
- Cost of required country specific vaccinations and antimalarials.
- Health insurance.
- Modest monthly living allowance while overseas.
- Accommodation while overseas.
- Vacation leave entitlement.
- Return debriefing in Canada after completion of assignment. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- An incredible opportunity to enhance your professional skills and participate in an experience of a lifetime!
- Applicants must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada between the age of 18-70.
- Departure date is contingent upon the timely completion of all administrative requirements (e.g. visa processes, medical clearance, police checks, travel documentation).
- With the support of the program, all volunteers shall undertake to make a minimum financial contribution of $1,500 for participating in the program.
- You must ensure that you have a SYGESCA session open and that your profile contains a curriculum vitae before applying for the position.