TYPE OF ASSIGNMENT:
Volunteer Cooperant (VC/OS)
Unaccompanied assignment - This assignment does not include support for accompanying partners or dependants
Women's Development Center (WDC)
SRI LANKA , Kandy, Sri Lanka
EXPECTED DEPARTURE DATE:
Departure date is contingent upon completion of administrative file and approval of visa. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis and position will remain open until filled.
Uniterra is a voluntary cooperation program and international development program which aims to strengthen organizations and networks through the pooling and exchange of expertise and knowledge. Jointly implemented by the Centre for International Studies and Cooperation (CECI) and World University Service of Canada (WUSC), Uniterra contributes to improving the socio-economic conditions of local communities in 14 countries in Africa, Latin America and the Caribbean and Asia. Uniterra supports inclusive market systems development in order to tackle the root causes of market failure and facilitate systemic change. To do so, Uniterra works in specific product and service sub-sectors to in order to enable 5.6 million women and youth from poor and marginalized communities in 14 countries to improve their economic and social well-being. Uniterra prioritizes local ownership of results through working in partnership with strategically placed local partners to improve the quality and relevance of services, and facilitate access to economic opportunities for women and youth.
The mission of Women Development Centre (WDC) is to facilitate and encourage an environment for victimized women and children, persons with special needs, youth and other vulnerable groups to achieve positive changes in their lives by resolving or minimizing their problems through active participation in decision making within the socio-economic process. Sthree, meaning ‘Women’ in both Sinhala and Tamil languages, has been established as a not-for-profit social enterprise. This commercial space allows women entrepreneurs/producers to showcase and sell their handicraft products such as eco-friendly purses, batiks, home décor items, artwork, silk scarves and shawls etc . They also sell beautiful wood furniture handcrafted by people with disabilities. In order to increase market share and success, Sthree aims to increase the visibility among tourists and develop partnerships with the local tourism sector including hotels and tour operators to provide unique high quality souvenirs. Sthree’s success will ensure sustainability for itself, support WDC’s broader mandate and continue to support some of the most vulnerable people in the region. In addition to the shop a new venture has been established as Shtree café with the support of the Planeterra (Canadian org) in the same premises. At the moment it caters to adventure tour groups and it will be open to the general public in the near future.
For more information visit http://womendev.org/
Sthree, meaning ‘Women’ in both Sinhala and Tamil languages, has been established as a not-for-profit social enterprise in conjunction with WDC. In order to increase market share and success, Sthree aims to increase their visibility among tourists and develop partnerships with the local tourism sector, including hotels and tour operators, to provide unique high quality souvenirs and experiences.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide support in developing a business plan as well as a comprehensive marketing plan for the Sthree shop;
- Review Sthree shop’s operations and recommend roles and responsibilities of personnel;
- Support the development of a budget and put in place controls that would contribute to better efficiencies and increased revenue;
- Provide support in creating a communication/promotional strategy to improve the visibility of women entrepreneurs and Sthree;
- Support the development of a marketing plan to increase customer traffic and community awareness of WDC and Sthree;
- Provide recommendations to strengthen the quality and diversification of products and designs of the existing products;
- Contribute to introducing new products and new markets;
- Develop capacities of staff for all functions of Sthree through various workshops and trainings;
- Collaborate with women entrepreneurs, suppliers, WDC staff to develop products and services that align with WDC vision and mission;
- Provide training to staff for updating the Sthree website, Facebook, and other promotional platforms regularly;
- Analyse sales and revenue reports and make forecasts;
- Consolidate the results, document best practices and participate in the implementation of exit strategies;
- Ensure that the needs analysis and evaluation processes are conducted with equal input from both genders; and
- Adhere to the youth/social inclusion and gender equality strategies.
- Degree in business, marketing or a related field
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in business development
- Strong personal initiative, resourcefulness and capacity to work independently as well as an ability to work as part of a team
- Ability to work within a limited resource context
- Experience working in a developing country would be an asset
VOLUNTEER BENEFITS AND SUPPORT:
- Support and guidance prior to departure and while on assignment in country.
- Participation in a pre-departure training where you will have the opportunity to learn about the program, gain practical skills for living and working in an intercultural context and meet other volunteers. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- In-country orientation and briefing upon arrival in-country.
- Language training in-country where required.
- Return flights, visas and work permits.
- Cost of required country specific vaccinations and antimalarials.
- Health insurance.
- Modest monthly living allowance while overseas.
- Accommodation while overseas.
- Vacation leave entitlement.
- Return debriefing in Canada after completion of assignment. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- An incredible opportunity to enhance your professional skills and participate in an experience of a lifetime!
- Applicants must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada between the age of 18-70.
- Departure date is contingent upon the timely completion of all administrative requirements (e.g. visa processes, medical clearance, police checks, travel documentation).
- With the support of the program, all volunteers shall undertake to make a minimum financial contribution of $1,500 for participating in the program.
- You must ensure that you have a SYGESCA session open and that your profile contains a curriculum vitae before applying for the position.