TYPE OF ASSIGNMENT:
Volunteer Cooperant (VC/OS)
Unaccompanied assignment - This assignment does not include support for accompanying partners or dependants
ASSOCIATED CENTRE FOR AGRO-BASED DEVELOPMENT
MALAWI , Lilongwe
EXPECTED DEPARTURE DATE:
Departure date is contingent upon completion of administrative file and approval of visa. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis and position will remain open until filled.
Uniterra is a leading Canadian international volunteer cooperation and development program, jointly implemented by the Centre for International Studies and Cooperation (CECI) and World University Service of Canada (WUSC).
Uniterra contributes to improving the socio-economic conditions of poor and marginalized communities in 14 countries and with over 200 partners in Africa, Asia and the Americas through the exchange of expertise and knowledge of Canadian and international volunteers. Uniterra believes that economic growth, when inclusive, is the most powerful driver of poverty reduction. The purpose of the Uniterra program is to improve the lives of some of the world’s most vulnerable populations by stimulating growth and facilitating access to the benefits of growing and diversified markets. To make this happen, we are working with our local partners to enhance the income of poor and marginalized women and youth through better access to employment and income generation opportunities. Uniterra country program staff work with our local partners to design Uniterra assignments in the context of the country strategy, supporting the inclusion of women and youth in key economic subsectors.
For more information on the Uniterra program, our approach and countries of focus please visit: Uniterra.ca
The Product Development Advisor volunteer will contribute towards the achievement of Uniterra program objectives of economic empowerment in the legumes sector by building the capacity of processor and producer associations in product development, value addition, packaging, pricing and branding. These associations are affiliated with with youth partner organisations strategic to the Uniterra program in Malawi, such as National Youth Council of Malawi (NYCOM), ACADES and mHub.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Mentor and provide training to youth processors and producers on improving product packaging to increase value;
- Conduct training for producers in pricing packaged products based on production costs;
- Develop and conduct gender- and age-inclusive training for producers in branding and marketing of final products;
- Promote the participation and representation of women and youth in all activities and program benefits; and
- Produce reports required by the Uniterra program.
- Degree and/or formal education in business, marketing or a related discipline
- Demonstrated experience in product development and value addition
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Ability to work in an intercultural environment
- Strong written and oral communication skills in English
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills in English
- Adaptability, flexibility, excellent team working skills and cultural sensitivity
VOLUNTEER BENEFITS AND SUPPORT:
- Support and guidance prior to departure and while on assignment in country.
- Participation in a pre-departure training where you will have the opportunity to learn about the program, gain practical skills for living and working in an intercultural context and meet other volunteers. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- In-country orientation and briefing upon arrival in-country.
- Language training in-country where required.
- Return flights, visas and work permits.
- Cost of required country specific vaccinations and antimalarials.
- Health insurance.
- Modest monthly living allowance while overseas.
- Accommodation while overseas.
- Vacation leave entitlement.
- Return debriefing in Canada after completion of assignment. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- An incredible opportunity to enhance your professional skills and participate in an experience of a lifetime!
- Applicants must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada between the age of 18-70.
- Departure date is contingent upon the timely completion of all administrative requirements (e.g. visa processes, medical clearance, police checks, travel documentation).
- With the support of the program, all volunteers shall undertake to make a minimum financial contribution of $1,500 for participating in the program.
- You must ensure that you have a SYGESCA session open and that your profile contains a curriculum vitae before applying for the position.