TYPE OF ASSIGNMENT:
Volunteer Cooperant (VC/OS)
Unaccompanied assignment - This assignment does not include support for accompanying partners or dependants
SRI LANKA , Passikudha
EXPECTED DEPARTURE DATE:
Departure date is contingent upon completion of administrative file and approval of visa. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis and position will remain open until filled.
Uniterra is a leading Canadian international volunteer cooperation and development program, jointly implemented by the Centre for International Studies and Cooperation (CECI) and World University Service of Canada (WUSC).
Uniterra contributes to improving the socio-economic conditions of poor and marginalized communities in 14 countries and with over 200 partners in Africa, Asia and the Americas through the exchange of expertise and knowledge of Canadian and international volunteers. Uniterra believes that economic growth, when inclusive, is the most powerful driver of poverty reduction. The purpose of the Uniterra program is to improve the lives of some of the world’s most vulnerable populations by stimulating growth and facilitating access to the benefits of growing and diversified markets. To make this happen, we are working with our local partners to enhance the income of poor and marginalized women and youth through better access to employment and income generation opportunities. Uniterra country program staff work with our local partners to design Uniterra assignments in the context of the country strategy, supporting the inclusion of women and youth in key economic subsectors.
For more information on the Uniterra program, our approach and countries of focus please visit: Uniterra.ca
The Kalkudah/ Passikudah Guest House Owners Association has eighteen members including five Woman Guest House Owners. The Association's mission is to be recognized as the formal and effective representative body of Bed & Breakfasts, Guest Houses and Restaurants within Kalkudah & Passikudah. The Association represents the views of its members in areas directly or indirectly affecting their business and works to find immediate and effective solutions in order to promote and build the industry in the region. The Association collaborates with other organizations within the tourism and hospitality industries, locally, nationally and internationally to encourage a more integrated and synergized approach to ensure the greatest benefit for its members and the region.
The Hotelier association needs support to improve their customer service, to attract both local and foreign tourists. As such, The Kalkudah/Passikudah Guest House Owners Association seeks a volunteer Customer Service Advisor to provide training in all customer service areas such as greeting, handling of complaints, and proactive service provision.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Review the current customer service strategies used by guesthouse owners;
- Train the staff on providing excellent customer service to ensure a positive experience for clients;
- Provide support in creating customer service manuals, and any necessary coaching and monitoring tools;
- Provide support in monitoring the quality of customer service;
- Consolidate the results, document best practices and participate in the implementation of exit strategies;
- Ensure the participation of women and youth, as well as their representation, in all activities of and all program benefits; and
- Write reports required by Partner organization and the Uniterra program.
- Degree and/or training in customer service, marketing or a related discipline
- One year of experience in customer service training
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in cross-cultural environments
- Demonstrated coaching or mentorship skills, including tact and professionalism
- Written and oral fluency in English
VOLUNTEER BENEFITS AND SUPPORT:
- Support and guidance prior to departure and while on assignment in country.
- Participation in a pre-departure training where you will have the opportunity to learn about the program, gain practical skills for living and working in an intercultural context and meet other volunteers. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- In-country orientation and briefing upon arrival in-country.
- Language training in-country where required.
- Return flights, visas and work permits.
- Cost of required country specific vaccinations and antimalarials.
- Health insurance.
- Modest monthly living allowance while overseas.
- Accommodation while overseas.
- Vacation leave entitlement.
- Return debriefing in Canada after completion of assignment. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- An incredible opportunity to enhance your professional skills and participate in an experience of a lifetime!
- Applicants must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada between the age of 18-70.
- Departure date is contingent upon the timely completion of all administrative requirements (e.g. visa processes, medical clearance, police checks, travel documentation).
- With the support of the program, all volunteers shall undertake to make a minimum financial contribution of $1,500 for participating in the program.
- You must ensure that you have a SYGESCA session open and that your profile contains a curriculum vitae before applying for the position.