TYPE OF ASSIGNMENT:
Volunteer Cooperant (VC/OS)
Unaccompanied assignment - This assignment does not include support for accompanying partners or dependants
RNPM - Red Nacional de Promoción de la Mujer
PERU , Lima
EXPECTED DEPARTURE DATE:
Departure date is contingent upon completion of administrative file and approval of visa. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis and position will remain open until filled.
Uniterra is a leading Canadian international volunteer cooperation and development program, jointly implemented by the Centre for International Studies and Cooperation (CECI) and World University Service of Canada (WUSC).
Uniterra contributes to improving the socio-economic conditions of poor and marginalized communities in 14 countries and with over 200 partners in Africa, Asia and the Americas through the exchange of expertise and knowledge of Canadian and international volunteers. Uniterra believes that economic growth, when inclusive, is the most powerful driver of poverty reduction. The purpose of the Uniterra program is to improve the lives of some of the world’s most vulnerable populations by stimulating growth and facilitating access to the benefits of growing and diversified markets. To make this happen, we are working with our local partners to enhance the income of poor and marginalized women and youth through better access to employment and income generation opportunities. Uniterra country program staff work with our local partners to design Uniterra assignments in the context of the country strategy, supporting the inclusion of women and youth in key economic subsectors.
For more information on the Uniterra program, our approach and countries of focus please visit: Uniterra.ca
The Red Nacional de Promoción de la Mujer – RNPM (National Network for the Promotion of Woman) is a not-for-profit association made up of 25 department coordinations, the Callao provincial coordination and 20 provincial coordinations, all civil society organisations, for a total of 700 members throughout the country. The RNPM stands out by its plural and decentralised nature and the volunteer work of its members. It is comprised of NGOs, representatives of public institutions and individuals. Its mission is to promote and encourage the development and management of public policies and monitoring their enforcement as part of its National Program for Promoting Women and Sustainable Human Development.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Under the direction of the Uniterra country coordinator and in collaboration with the Uniterra communications team, the communications advisor shall contribute to raising awareness of the Uniterra program, CECI, WUSC and partners in programming countries.
- Familiarize yourself with the context and dynamics in terms of communications at the Uniterra office in Lima
- Assist in the development of communications materials for the Uniterra program
- Support and guide volunteers wishing to create specific communications materials for their partners
- Write the relevant reports on the work done by volunteers
- Document the success stories in terms of volunteers’ and partners’ activities
- Encourage volunteers in the field to use social media to disseminate information and increase their work’s visibility
- Support the development of quick reference guides on activities/events programmed by Uniterra and/or the partner, as the case may be
- Schedule strategic dates for dissemination of key messages on the internal Facebook page and on Uniterra’s Facebook page
- Support the organization of events planned by Uniterra and/or a strategic partner
- Support the implementation of the new innovation strategy based on past volunteering in Peru and report on said strategy’s progress
- Ensure that the strategies for integrating gender equality issues and youth inclusion are taken into account in the elaboration and implementation of all activities and all communications materials
- Ensure that all communications materials comply with the official design standards specified in the communications strategies of CECI, WUSC and Uniterra
- Consolidate the results, document best practices and participate in the implementation of exit strategies
- University degree in Communication or Public Relations
- Experience in utilization of information technologies
- Solid skills and expertise in website creation and content updating on different platforms
- Experience in utilization of social media (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube)
- Solid communications skills in spoken and written English and French; command of Spanish would also be desirable
- Excellent interpersonal and participatory skills, and aptitude for teamwork
- Work experience in Latin America an asset
VOLUNTEER BENEFITS AND SUPPORT:
- Support and guidance prior to departure and while on assignment in country.
- Participation in a pre-departure training where you will have the opportunity to learn about the program, gain practical skills for living and working in an intercultural context and meet other volunteers. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- In-country orientation and briefing upon arrival in-country.
- Language training in-country where required.
- Return flights, visas and work permits.
- Cost of required country specific vaccinations and antimalarials.
- Health insurance.
- Modest monthly living allowance while overseas.
- Accommodation while overseas.
- Vacation leave entitlement.
- Return debriefing in Canada after completion of assignment. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- An incredible opportunity to enhance your professional skills and participate in an experience of a lifetime!
- Applicants must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada between the age of 18-70.
- Departure date is contingent upon the timely completion of all administrative requirements (e.g. visa processes, medical clearance, police checks, travel documentation).
- With the support of the program, all volunteers shall undertake to make a minimum financial contribution of $1,500 for participating in the program.
- You must ensure that you have a SYGESCA session open and that your profile contains a curriculum vitae before applying for the position.