TYPE OF ASSIGNMENT:
Volunteer Cooperant (VC/OS)
WUSC / EUMC Sri Lanka
SRI LANKA , Colombo
EXPECTED DEPARTURE DATE:
Departure date is contingent upon completion of administrative file and approval of visa. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis and position will remain open until filled.
Advancing Specialized Skills for Economic Transformation (ASSET) is a multi-year vocational training reform project, operational from 2014-2019. Sri Lanka has set ambitious economic growth targets. The country’s economic performance is dependent on a supply of well-trained Sri Lankans to work in its key economic drivers – tourism and hospitality; construction, information technology and automotive industries.
The ASSET project supports Sri Lanka’s economic development plan through improving the linkages between private sector, government and training providers. ASSET will link the human resource needs of growing businesses to those individuals wanting to enter the workforce but lacking the appropriate skills. The project will connect unemployed youth to training for existing jobs. Technical assistance interventions will ensure training meets private sector needs and standards. In order to improve public perceptions concerning skilled trades, a social marketing and communications campaign will be conducted both regionally and nationally.
The Communications and Documentation Officer will assist WUSC to report on project progress, document and disseminate best practices, to record and publish case studies, and to share results and lessons learned from the operation of the ASSET Project. The project has a focus on social marketing and community engagement around perceptions related to careers in the trades and technology sectors. The Communication and Documentation Assistant will support the communications strategy and media campaign initiatives.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Working closely with the Manager, Social Marketing and Communications (M-SMC), key responsibilities of the volunteer will be to:
- Identify case study opportunities, and conduct and record case studies demonstrating the impact of the project on the lives of marginalized women, youth and communities;
- Support the implementation of social marketing activities, and lead the regional/district social marketing campaign under the direction of the Manager, Social Marketing and Communications (M-SMC);
- Prepare short articles on the project’s approaches, challenges accomplishments and impact for WUSC publications;
- Work with partners and regional officers to manage and implement all social marketing activities;
- Support an online media presence;
- Any other duties that may be required.
- University degree in Communications, Journalism, Social Sciences or related field
- Demonstrated interest in development issues and practice
- Interest and commitment to gender equality and social inclusion
- Well-honed research and writing skills
- Administrative skills
- Skills in organizing and managing events (workshops, seminars, exhibits)
- Skills in photography and/or document preparation, formatting and publication
- Strong computer skills in Microsoft Office
- Strong personal initiative, resourcefulness and capacity to work independently
- Proven ability to work as part of a team
- Strong problem solving skills
- Strong communications and writing skills in English
- Strong cross-cultural skills and cultural sensitivity
VOLUNTEER BENEFITS AND SUPPORT:
- Support and guidance prior to departure and while on assignment in country.
- Participation in a pre-departure training where you will have the opportunity to learn about the program, gain practical skills for living and working in an intercultural context and meet other volunteers. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- In-country orientation and briefing upon arrival in-country.
- Language training in-country where required.
- Return flights, visas and work permits.
- Cost of required country specific vaccinations and antimalarials.
- Comprehensive health insurance.
- Modest monthly living allowance while overseas.
- Accommodation while overseas.
- Vacation leave entitlement.
- Support for accompanying partners and up to two dependants on placements of greater than 12 months.
- Return debriefing in Canada after completion of assignment. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- An incredible opportunity to enhance your professional skills and participate in an experience of a lifetime!
- Applicants must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada between the age of 18-70.
- Departure date is contingent upon the timely completion of all administrative requirements (e.g. visa processes, medical clearance, police checks, travel documentation).
- With the support of the program, all volunteers shall undertake to make a minimum financial contribution of $1,500 for participating in the program.
- You must ensure that you have a SYGESCA session open and that your profile contains a curriculum vitae before applying for the position.