TYPE OF ASSIGNMENT:
Volunteer Cooperant (VC/OS)
WUSC / EUMC Sri Lanka
EXPECTED DEPARTURE DATE:
Departure date is contingent upon completion of administrative file and approval of visa. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis and position will remain open until filled.
Advancing Specialized Skills for Economic Transformation (ASSET) is a multi-year vocational training reform project, launched in 2014 and continuing until 2019. Sri Lanka has set ambitious economic growth targets. The country’s economic performance is dependent on a supply of well trained Sri Lankans to work in its key economic drivers – tourism & hospitality, construction, information technology and automotive industries.
The ASSET project supports Sri Lanka’s economic development plan through improving linkages between private sector, government and training providers. ASSET links the human resource needs of growing businesses to those individuals wanting to enter the workforce but lacking the appropriate skills. The project connects unemployed youth to training for existing jobs. Technical assistance interventions ensure training meets private sector needs and standards. In order to improve public perceptions concerning skilled trades, a social marketing and communications campaign will be conducted both regionally and nationally.
The Environmental Management Support Officer will assist WUSC to implement the ASSET project Environmental Strategy and the approved implementation plan.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Support the implementation of the ASSET Environmental Strategy Implementation Plan
- Support the identification of environment specialized stakeholders (authorities, bodies, agencies) relevant to four sectors in which WUSC works
- Facilitate the presence of environment specialized agencies to support ASSET’s private sector partner and students
- Support training and capacity development initiatives of partners
- Support the integration of relevant curricula to the ASSET training programmes for TVET trainees and partners
- Support research on green job opportunities in each of the four sectors
- Support reporting and documentation for the ASSET project.
- University level studies in environmental management (including environmental resource studies, environment and sustainability, bioscience, etc).
- Demonstrated interest in development issues and practice
- Interest and commitment to gender equality and social inclusion
- Strong research and writing skills
- Skills in teaching and training
- Skills in assessment, monitoring and evaluation
- Strong personal initiative, resourcefulness and capacity to work independently
- Proven ability to work as part of a team
- Strong problem solving skills
- Strong communication and writing skills
- Strong cross-cultural skills and cultural sensitivity
VOLUNTEER BENEFITS AND SUPPORT:
- Support and guidance prior to departure and while on assignment in country.
- Participation in a pre-departure training where you will have the opportunity to learn about the program, gain practical skills for living and working in an intercultural context and meet other volunteers. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- In-country orientation and briefing upon arrival in-country.
- Language training in-country where required.
- Return flights, visas and work permits.
- Cost of required country specific vaccinations and antimalarials.
- Comprehensive health insurance.
- Modest monthly living allowance while overseas.
- Accommodation while overseas.
- Vacation leave entitlement.
- Support for accompanying partners and up to two dependants on placements of greater than 12 months.
- Return debriefing in Canada after completion of assignment. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- An incredible opportunity to enhance your professional skills and participate in an experience of a lifetime!
- Applicants must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada between the age of 18-70.
- Departure date is contingent upon the timely completion of all administrative requirements (e.g. visa processes, medical clearance, police checks, travel documentation).
- With the support of the program, all volunteers shall undertake to make a minimum financial contribution of $1,500 for participating in the program.
- You must ensure that you have a SYGESCA session open and that your profile contains a curriculum vitae before applying for the position.