TYPE OF ASSIGNMENT:
Volunteer Cooperant (VC/OS)
Unaccompanied assignment - This assignment does not include support for accompanying partners or dependants
Sokoine University Graduate Entrepreneurs Cooperative Limited
TANZANIA; UNITED REPUBLIC OF , Morogoro
EXPECTED DEPARTURE DATE:
Departure date is contingent upon completion of administrative file and approval of visa. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis and position will remain open until filled.
Uniterra is a leading Canadian international volunteer cooperation and development program, jointly implemented by the Centre for International Studies and Cooperation (CECI) and World University Service of Canada (WUSC).
Uniterra contributes to improving the socio-economic conditions of poor and marginalized communities in 14 countries and with over 200 partners in Africa, Asia and the Americas through the exchange of expertise and knowledge of Canadian and international volunteers. Uniterra believes that economic growth, when inclusive, is the most powerful driver of poverty reduction. The purpose of the Uniterra program is to improve the lives of some of the world’s most vulnerable populations by stimulating growth and facilitating access to the benefits of growing and diversified markets. To make this happen, we are working with our local partners to enhance the income of poor and marginalized women and youth through better access to employment and income generation opportunities. Uniterra country program staff work with our local partners to design Uniterra assignments in the context of the country strategy, supporting the inclusion of women and youth in key economic subsectors. For more information on the Uniterra program, our approach and countries of focus please visit: Uniterra.ca.
The Sokoine University Graduate Entrepreneurs Cooperative (SUGECO) is a cooperative established in 2011 by undergraduate, graduate and postgraduate students aspiring to start their own businesses, especially in the agricultural sector, after graduating from Sokoine University of Agriculture (SUA). They aim to create future generations of successful business persons who transform the culture to value entrepreneurship and create a vibrant economy. The main focus is to stimulate agribusiness development and create employment for youth in Tanzania. SUGECO has close to 400 graduate and student members across Tanzania engaging in agribusiness entrepreneurial activities. To learn more visit www.sugeco.or.tz/
The Business Management Advisor will support the drafting of business management guidelines to be used by young entrepreneurs working in agribusiness.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide advice and assistance on the best practices for startup businesses management;
- Provide guidance on continued business management;
- Provide clear communication and guidance to start up entrepreneurs on risk management;
- Ensure the participation of women and youth, as well as their representation, in all activities and all program benefits;
- Consolidate the results, document best practices and participate in the implementation of exit strategies; and
- Write reports required by SUGECO and the Uniterra program.
- Degree and/or training in business management or a related discipline
- Minimum 2 years of experience in business management
- Passionate and knowledgeable about working with youth
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in cross-cultural environments
- Ability to be flexible and adapt to new situations
- Demonstrated coaching or mentorship skills, including tact and professionalism
- Written and oral fluency in English
VOLUNTEER BENEFITS AND SUPPORT:
- Support and guidance prior to departure and while on assignment in country.
- Participation in a pre-departure training where you will have the opportunity to learn about the program, gain practical skills for living and working in an intercultural context and meet other volunteers. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- In-country orientation and briefing upon arrival in-country.
- Language training in-country where required.
- Return flights, visas and work permits.
- Cost of required country specific vaccinations and antimalarials.
- Health insurance.
- Modest monthly living allowance while overseas.
- Accommodation while overseas.
- Vacation leave entitlement.
- Return debriefing in Canada after completion of assignment. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- An incredible opportunity to enhance your professional skills and participate in an experience of a lifetime!
- Applicants must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada between the age of 18-70.
- Departure date is contingent upon the timely completion of all administrative requirements (e.g. visa processes, medical clearance, police checks, travel documentation).
- With the support of the program, all volunteers shall undertake to make a minimum financial contribution of $1,500 for participating in the program.
- You must ensure that you have a SYGESCA session open and that your profile contains a curriculum vitae before applying for the position.