TYPE OF ASSIGNMENT:
Volunteer Cooperant (VC/OS)
Unaccompanied assignment - This assignment does not include support for accompanying partners or dependants
VARIOUS COUNTRIES , Vietnam, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Tanzania, Malawi, Ghana. Burkina Faso, Senegal, Bolivia, Haiti, Guatemala
EXPECTED DEPARTURE DATE:
Departure date is contingent upon completion of administrative file and approval of visa. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis and position will remain open until filled.
Uniterra is a leading Canadian international volunteer cooperation and development program, jointly implemented by the Centre for International Studies and Cooperation (CECI) and World University Service of Canada (WUSC).
Uniterra contributes to improving the socio-economic conditions of poor and marginalized communities in 12 countries and with over 200 partners in Africa, Asia and the Americas through the exchange of expertise and knowledge of Canadian and international volunteers. Uniterra believes that economic growth, when inclusive, is the most powerful driver of poverty reduction. The purpose of the Uniterra program is to improve the lives of some of the world’s most vulnerable populations by stimulating growth and facilitating access to the benefits of growing and diversified markets. To make this happen, we are working with our local partners to enhance the income of poor and marginalized women and youth through better access to employment and income generation opportunities. Uniterra country program staff work with our local partners to design Uniterra assignments in the context of the country strategy, supporting the inclusion of women and youth in key economic sub sectors. For more information please visit uniterra.ca.
CONTEXT FOR THE GENERAL CALL FOR APPLICANTS:
We are recruiting professionals with backgrounds in marketing and communications to work as volunteers with strategic local partner organizations. This is a result of the fact that, across many economic sub-sectors and countries, these partner organizations recognize and aim to leverage the power of marketing and communications to meet their objectives.
Those with a passion for and professional background in marketing and/or communications, and an interest in living and working internationally, are encouraged to submit their CV and Cover Letter as indicated below.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Specific roles and responsibilities will be determined by the partner organization(s) and the Uniterra program Country Office Team, and validated by the successful candidate
- University degree, diploma and/or formal training in marketing, communications, journalism, public relations or a related discipline
- Minimum 3 years of related experience and demonstrated knowledge
- Proven skills in website and social media management
- Strong creative problem-solving skills
- Strong cross-cultural skills and high degree of intercultural sensitivity
- Resourcefulness and capacity to work independently and as part of a team
- Experience with or knowledge of graphic design or photography or videography is an asset
- Experience living, studying or working internationally is a strong asset
- Experience with facilitation, coaching and/or training is a strong asset
- Strong oral and written communications skills in English, French and/or Spanish, depending on the country of assignment
VOLUNTEER BENEFITS AND SUPPORT:
- Support and guidance prior to departure and while on assignment in country.
- Participation in a pre-departure training where you will have the opportunity to learn about the program, gain practical skills for living and working in an intercultural context and meet other volunteers. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- In-country orientation and briefing upon arrival in-country.
- Language training in-country where required.
- Return flights, visas and work permits.
- Cost of required country specific vaccinations and antimalarials.
- Health insurance.
- Modest monthly living allowance while overseas.
- Accommodation while overseas.
- Vacation leave entitlement.
- Return debriefing in Canada after completion of assignment. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- An incredible opportunity to enhance your professional skills and participate in an experience of a lifetime!
- Applicants must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada between the age of 18-70.
- Departure date is contingent upon the timely completion of all administrative requirements (e.g. visa processes, medical clearance, police checks, travel documentation).
- With the support of the program, all volunteers shall undertake to make a minimum financial contribution of $1,500 for participating in the program.
- You must ensure that you have a SYGESCA session open and that your profile contains a curriculum vitae before applying for the position.