TYPE OF ASSIGNMENT:
Volunteer Cooperant (VC/OS)
Unaccompanied assignment - This assignment does not include support for accompanying partners or dependants
Sri Lanka Institute of Tourism and Hotel Management
SRI LANKA , Colombo
EXPECTED DEPARTURE DATE:
Departure date is contingent upon completion of administrative file and approval of visa. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis and position will remain open until filled.
Uniterra is a voluntary cooperation program and international development program which aims to strengthen organizations and networks through the pooling and exchange of expertise and knowledge. Jointly implemented by the Centre for International Studies and Cooperation (CECI) and World University Service of Canada (WUSC), Uniterra contributes to improving the socio-economic conditions of local communities in 14 countries in Africa, Latin America and the Caribbean and Asia.
The mission of the Sri Lanka Institute of Tourism and Hospitality Management (SLITHM) is to be institution responsible for the promotion of global tourism through the provision of excellent service providers. Thus, to be the benchmark of hotel schools in the South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) region. It endeavours to develop students' knowledge, skills and attitudes to be professionally competent in the ever-changing hospitality trade. Provincial schools have been set up in 7 cities throughout the island.
SLITHM is seeking a volunteer Student Recruitment Advisor to provide further support to the college to help the department attract and provide improved the services to their current and prospective students and alumni.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide guidance and support in planning and developing a communications and marketing strategy in order to attract more students, especially young women;
- Build the capacity of SLITHM staff through training and mentoring on how to design marketing tools to attract more students ( newsletter, college brochures, flyers and website);
- Consolidate the results, document best practices and participate in the implementation of exit strategies;
- Ensure the use of gender and youth inclusive language and images in all communication and marketing tools of SLITHM; and
- Write reports requested by SLITHM and the Uniterra Program.
- Degree in communications, marketing or related field
- Minimum 2 years experience in marketing, social media or student recruitment
- Knowledge of marketing strategies and techniques
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- Good IT skills ( eg- Microsoft package, use of databases and website design)
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Flexibility and adaptability
- Ability to work in different cultural settings
VOLUNTEER BENEFITS AND SUPPORT:
- Support and guidance prior to departure and while on assignment in country.
- Participation in a pre-departure training where you will have the opportunity to learn about the program, gain practical skills for living and working in an intercultural context and meet other volunteers. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- In-country orientation and briefing upon arrival in-country.
- Language training in-country where required.
- Return flights, visas and work permits.
- Cost of required country specific vaccinations and antimalarials.
- Health insurance.
- Modest monthly living allowance while overseas.
- Accommodation while overseas.
- Vacation leave entitlement.
- Return debriefing in Canada after completion of assignment. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- An incredible opportunity to enhance your professional skills and participate in an experience of a lifetime!
- Applicants must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada between the age of 18-70.
- Departure date is contingent upon the timely completion of all administrative requirements (e.g. visa processes, medical clearance, police checks, travel documentation).
- With the support of the program, all volunteers shall undertake to make a minimum financial contribution of $1,500 for participating in the program.
- You must ensure that you have a SYGESCA session open and that your profile contains a curriculum vitae before applying for the position.