TYPE OF ASSIGNMENT:
Volunteer Cooperant (VC/OS)
Unaccompanied assignment - This assignment does not include support for accompanying partners or dependants
MALAWI , Lilongwe
EXPECTED DEPARTURE DATE:
Departure date is contingent upon completion of administrative file and approval of visa. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis and position will remain open until filled.
Uniterra is a leading Canadian international volunteer cooperation and development program, jointly implemented by the Centre for International Studies and Cooperation (CECI) and World University Service of Canada (WUSC).
Uniterra contributes to improving the socio-economic conditions of poor and marginalized communities in 14 countries and with over 200 partners in Africa, Asia and the Americas through the exchange of expertise and knowledge of Canadian and international volunteers. Uniterra believes that economic growth, when inclusive, is the most powerful driver of poverty reduction. The purpose of the Uniterra program is to improve the lives of some of the world’s most vulnerable populations by stimulating growth and facilitating access to the benefits of growing and diversified markets. To make this happen, we are working with our local partners to enhance the income of poor and marginalized women and youth through better access to employment and income generation opportunities. Uniterra country program staff work with our local partners to design Uniterra assignments in the context of the country strategy, supporting the inclusion of women and youth in key economic subsectors.
For more information on the Uniterra program, our approach and countries of focus please visit: Uniterra.ca
Malawi Hub, (mHub) is a technology and innovation hub and work space for social enterprise
that champions the development of local technology solutions. The hub invites young
innovators and entrepreneurs with technical and business skills to come and create sustainable
business solutions. mHub provide a space for skills development, knowledge transfer,
networking and mentorship. It has trained over 4,000 youth in ICT skills and entrepreneurship
and incubates 15 emerging entrepreneurs. The resource center has 180 youth as members and
work to grow knowledge sharing between industry, academia, developers, researchers and the
community on the development of technology solutions that solve problems in the society and
The Information Technology Officer will contribute to the attainment of Uniterra objectives by
building capacity of mHub staff and youth Incubation centers in information technology.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Train mHub staff in Information and Technology i.e. training in the design,
- development, and deployment of highly profitable and impactful technology solutions
- for clients.
- Work with mHub staff in identifying competitive advantages in technology, innovation
- and entrepreneurial trends for the benefit of mHub.
- Support mHub in its research agenda to put mHub at the forefront of the application of
- digital technology.
- Ensure the participation and representation of women and youth in all activities of the
- Write reports required by mHub and the Uniterra program.
- University degree in Computer Science or Information Technology.
- Experience in using or repairing various softwares, and in website design.
- Experience with training in English.
- Adaptability and ability to work in multicultural teams with flexibility and creativity.
- Respectful of local cultures in different working environments.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Excellent analytical thinking and diplomatic decision making ability
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Ability to work in an intercultural environment
- Strong written and oral communication skills in English
VOLUNTEER BENEFITS AND SUPPORT:
- Support and guidance prior to departure and while on assignment in country.
- Participation in a pre-departure training where you will have the opportunity to learn about the program, gain practical skills for living and working in an intercultural context and meet other volunteers. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- In-country orientation and briefing upon arrival in-country.
- Language training in-country where required.
- Return flights, visas and work permits.
- Cost of required country specific vaccinations and antimalarials.
- Health insurance.
- Modest monthly living allowance while overseas.
- Accommodation while overseas.
- Vacation leave entitlement.
- Return debriefing in Canada after completion of assignment. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- An incredible opportunity to enhance your professional skills and participate in an experience of a lifetime!
- Applicants must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada between the age of 18-70.
- Departure date is contingent upon the timely completion of all administrative requirements (e.g. visa processes, medical clearance, police checks, travel documentation).
- With the support of the program, all volunteers shall undertake to make a minimum financial contribution of $1,500 for participating in the program.
- You must ensure that you have a SYGESCA session open and that your profile contains a curriculum vitae before applying for the position.