TYPE OF ASSIGNMENT:
Volunteer Cooperant (VC/OS)
Unaccompanied assignment - This assignment does not include support for accompanying partners or dependants
Moshi Cooperative University
TANZANIA; UNITED REPUBLIC OF , Moshi
EXPECTED DEPARTURE DATE:
Departure date is contingent upon completion of administrative file and approval of visa. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis and position will remain open until filled.
Uniterra is a leading Canadian international volunteer cooperation and development program, jointly implemented by the Centre for International Studies and Cooperation (CECI) and World University Service of Canada (WUSC).
Uniterra contributes to improving the socio-economic conditions of poor and marginalized communities in 14 countries and with over 200 partners in Africa, Asia and the Americas through the exchange of expertise and knowledge of Canadian and international volunteers. Uniterra believes that economic growth, when inclusive, is the most powerful driver of poverty reduction. The purpose of the Uniterra program is to improve the lives of some of the world’s most vulnerable populations by stimulating growth and facilitating access to the benefits of growing and diversified markets. To make this happen, we are working with our local partners to enhance the income of poor and marginalized women and youth through better access to employment and income generation opportunities. Uniterra country program staff work with our local partners to design Uniterra assignments in the context of the country strategy, supporting the inclusion of women and youth in key economic subsectors.
For more information on the Uniterra program, our approach and countries of focus please visit: Uniterra.ca.
Moshi Cooperative University is a public university working to advance knowledge, understanding and creativity in all matters relating to cooperative development, rural transformation, business studies, communication, law, and other relevant areas of learning. Working at the international and national level, MoCU intervenes in these fields and promotes mutual understanding through education, research, and consultancy.
Under the direction of the Cooperative Outreach Unit, the Gender Advisor will support the engagement of women in cooperative training activities.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Plan and facilitate gender-inclusive discussions with the Cooperative Outreach Unit on the increased inclusion of women in their activities;
- Guide training for cooperative training facilitators on the development of women’s engagement strategies, including engagement and training of female cooperative leaders;
- Provide guidance and recommendations to the Outreach Unit on related initiatives and networking;
- Ensure the participation of women and youth, as well as their representation, in all activities and all program benefits;
- Consolidate the results, document best practices and participate in the implementation of exit strategies; and
- Produce reports as required by Moshi Cooperative University and the Uniterra Program.
- Degree and/or training in international development, gender studies, or equivalent
- Experience working in gender, or a similar field
- Experience with partnership management and engagement, preferably in an international context
- Knowledge of and commitment to gender equality and youth inclusion principles and volunteering
- Excellent judgment and problem-solving skills
- Experience in participatory training methodologies
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in cross-cultural environments
- Demonstrated coaching or mentorship skills, including tact and professionalism
- Written and oral fluency in English
VOLUNTEER BENEFITS AND SUPPORT:
- Support and guidance prior to departure and while on assignment in country.
- Participation in a pre-departure training where you will have the opportunity to learn about the program, gain practical skills for living and working in an intercultural context and meet other volunteers. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- In-country orientation and briefing upon arrival in-country.
- Language training in-country where required.
- Return flights, visas and work permits.
- Cost of required country specific vaccinations and antimalarials.
- Health insurance.
- Modest monthly living allowance while overseas.
- Accommodation while overseas.
- Vacation leave entitlement.
- Return debriefing in Canada after completion of assignment. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- An incredible opportunity to enhance your professional skills and participate in an experience of a lifetime!
- Applicants must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada between the age of 18-70.
- Departure date is contingent upon the timely completion of all administrative requirements (e.g. visa processes, medical clearance, police checks, travel documentation).
- With the support of the program, all volunteers shall undertake to make a minimum financial contribution of $1,500 for participating in the program.
- You must ensure that you have a SYGESCA session open and that your profile contains a curriculum vitae before applying for the position.