TYPE OF ASSIGNMENT:
Volunteer Cooperant (VC/OS)
Unaccompanied assignment - This assignment does not include support for accompanying partners or dependants
Farm Radio International
GHANA , Accra
EXPECTED DEPARTURE DATE:
Departure date is contingent upon completion of administrative file and approval of visa. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis and position will remain open until filled.
Uniterra is a leading Canadian international volunteer cooperation and development program, jointly implemented by the Centre for International Studies and Cooperation (CECI) and World University Service of Canada (WUSC).
Uniterra contributes to improving the socio-economic conditions of poor and marginalized communities in 14 countries and with over 200 partners in Africa, Asia and the Americas through the exchange of expertise and knowledge of Canadian and international volunteers. Uniterra believes that economic growth, when inclusive, is the most powerful driver of poverty reduction. The purpose of the Uniterra program is to improve the lives of some of the world’s most vulnerable populations by stimulating growth and facilitating access to the benefits of growing and diversified markets. To make this happen, we are working with our local partners to enhance the income of poor and marginalized women and youth through better access to employment and income generation opportunities. Uniterra country program staff work with our local partners to design Uniterra assignments in the context of the country strategy, supporting the inclusion of women and youth in key economic subsectors.
For more information on the Uniterra program, our approach and countries of focus please visit: Uniterra.ca.
Farm Radio International (FRI) Ghana is a locally registered non-profit organization working with broadcasters to develop radio programming that shares knowledge and strengthens the voices of small-scale farmers, their families and their communities. FRI collaborates with radio stations to plan and deliver radio campaigns and farmer programming on development challenges, as well as training and mentoring the stations to use ICTs to better interact with and serve their listeners. This includes access to content and online resources to help broadcasters develop high quality farmer programs. Within the framework of the Uniterra program, FRI contributes toward a large-scale uptake of good practices, including replicable, scalable business models related to the Uniterra program subsectors. To learn more visit www.farmradio.org/
The Business Development Advisor will provide support to strengthen and scale the sustainability of interactive radio programming at Farm Radio International in Ghana. The volunteer will contribute to this objective by developing a business case to increase partner and audience engagement, including the development of a pilot business case within the framework of ongoing projects.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Conduct a needs assessment of market actors and their communication-for-scale radio program needs;
- Support the development of a strategic business model for FRI operations in Ghana;
- Facilitate partnerships between businesses, support services, and select radio stations leading toward effective communication-for-scale interactive radio programs serving sub-sector market actors;
- Support FRI in the production of a communication-for-scale strategy outlining the ways that high-quality interactive radio programs and communication tools can enhance the sectors to increase employment opportunities for women and youth;
- Support the establishment of a social franchise model for developing sustainable high-quality interactive radio programs at select radio stations;
- Work with the Radio Craft Development team to assess the capacity building needs of selected radio stations in order to be part of the network and offer interactive radio programs;
- Help in documenting past successes and develop long-term strategy recommendations;
- Ensure the participation of women and youth, as well as their representation, in all activities and all program benefits;
- Consolidate the results, document best practices and participate in the implementation of exit strategies; and
- Write reports required by FRI and the Uniterra program.
- Degree in business administration, entrepreneurship, marketing, or relevant discipline
- Demonstrated experience and understanding of communication for development
- Demonstrated experience in innovation and ability to mobilise diverse stakeholders
- Proven ability to engage with private sector actors
- Excellent networking, facilitation, design and business skills
- Ability to be flexible and adapt to new situations
VOLUNTEER BENEFITS AND SUPPORT:
- Support and guidance prior to departure and while on assignment in country.
- Participation in a pre-departure training where you will have the opportunity to learn about the program, gain practical skills for living and working in an intercultural context and meet other volunteers. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- In-country orientation and briefing upon arrival in-country.
- Language training in-country where required.
- Return flights, visas and work permits.
- Cost of required country specific vaccinations and antimalarials.
- Health insurance.
- Modest monthly living allowance while overseas.
- Accommodation while overseas.
- Vacation leave entitlement.
- Return debriefing in Canada after completion of assignment. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- An incredible opportunity to enhance your professional skills and participate in an experience of a lifetime!
- Applicants must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada between the age of 18-70.
- Departure date is contingent upon the timely completion of all administrative requirements (e.g. visa processes, medical clearance, police checks, travel documentation).
- With the support of the program, all volunteers shall undertake to make a minimum financial contribution of $1,500 for participating in the program.
- You must ensure that you have a SYGESCA session open and that your profile contains a curriculum vitae before applying for the position.