TYPE OF ASSIGNMENT:
Volunteer Cooperant (VC/OS)
Unaccompanied assignment - This assignment does not include support for accompanying partners or dependants
MAS HOLDINGS- INTIMATES
SRI LANKA , Rathmalana
EXPECTED DEPARTURE DATE:
Departure date is contingent upon completion of administrative file and approval of visa. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis and position will remain open until filled.
Uniterra is a leading Canadian international volunteer cooperation and development program, jointly implemented by the Centre for International Studies and Cooperation (CECI) and World University Service of Canada (WUSC).
Uniterra contributes to improving the socio-economic conditions of poor and marginalized communities in 14 countries and with over 200 partners in Africa, Asia and the Americas through the exchange of expertise and knowledge of Canadian and international volunteers. Uniterra believes that economic growth, when inclusive, is the most powerful driver of poverty reduction. The purpose of the Uniterra program is to improve the lives of some of the world’s most vulnerable populations by stimulating growth and facilitating access to the benefits of growing and diversified markets. To make this happen, we are working with our local partners to enhance the income of poor and marginalized women and youth through better access to employment and income generation opportunities. Uniterra country program staff work with our local partners to design Uniterra assignments in the context of the country strategy, supporting the inclusion of women and youth in key economic subsectors.
For more information on the Uniterra program, our approach and countries of focus please visit: Uniterra.ca.
MAS Holdings is a $1.6 billion conglomerate and positioned as one of the world’s most recognized design–to-delivery solution providers in the realm of apparel and textile manufacturing. The organization is headquartered in Sri Lanka with 48 manufacturing facilities in 15 countries. MAS Intimates, the largest division of MAS Holdings, engages in apparel manufacturing and is the preferred innovation and launch partner for global lingerie brands. Their vision is ‘To inspire, innovate, create value and respect humanity”.
MAS is specifically looking at the gender gap in leadership roles in the organization and has started exploring the issues and identifying mechanisms that will work towards reducing the gap. The organization seeks a Gender Advisor to provide advice and guidance on policy-making and organizational strategies that can practically address this issue.
The Volunteer will be based out of MAS Capital (Private) Limited, which is one of the holding companies of the MAS Group and the company out of which the Women Go Beyond program operates. The intention is for the volunteer to work with multiple companies in the MAS Group, including MAS Active (Private) Limited, Bodyline (Private) Limited, MAS Innovation (Private) Limited and MAS Brands (Private) Limited.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide guidance in conducting quantitative and qualitative research to understand the multifaceted gender concerns in the organization, at the senior management level;
- Provide support in reviewing available data and existing frameworks for developing women in management and identifying gaps in policies for the development of female leaders;
- Provide recommendations on areas of improvement, with suggested frameworks for addressing issues highlighted;
- Work with senior management, towards systemic change, increasing the representation of women in leadership roles. This should include advice on mentorship and sponsorship, job shadowing, flex hours, child care support etc.;
- Provide guidance on best practices, review and develop interventions/strategies to address the issues surfaced, towards systemic change in promoting women in leadership roles;
- Educate the senior management on the importance of gender equality in the workplace and linking with organization productivity and profit-making as seen in other industries and companies;
- Conduct a focus group discussion with the senior management including the General Manager and Directors;
- Consolidate the results, document best practices and participate in the implementation of exit strategies;
- Ensure the participation of women and youth, as well as their representation, in all activities of and all program benefits; and
- Write reports required by MAS and the Uniterra program.
- Degree from a University with a specialization in gender studies
- Minimum 2 years of experience in the field of gender
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in cross-cultural environments
- Demonstrated coaching or mentorship skills, including tact and professionalism
- Written and oral fluency in English
VOLUNTEER BENEFITS AND SUPPORT:
- Support and guidance prior to departure and while on assignment in country.
- Participation in a pre-departure training where you will have the opportunity to learn about the program, gain practical skills for living and working in an intercultural context and meet other volunteers. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- In-country orientation and briefing upon arrival in-country.
- Language training in-country where required.
- Return flights, visas and work permits.
- Cost of required country specific vaccinations and antimalarials.
- Health insurance.
- Modest monthly living allowance while overseas.
- Accommodation while overseas.
- Vacation leave entitlement.
- Return debriefing in Canada after completion of assignment. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- An incredible opportunity to enhance your professional skills and participate in an experience of a lifetime!
- Applicants must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada between the age of 18-70.
- Departure date is contingent upon the timely completion of all administrative requirements (e.g. visa processes, medical clearance, police checks, travel documentation).
- With the support of the program, all volunteers shall undertake to make a minimum financial contribution of $1,500 for participating in the program.
- You must ensure that you have a SYGESCA session open and that your profile contains a curriculum vitae before applying for the position.