TYPE OF ASSIGNMENT:
Volunteer Cooperant (VC/OS)
Unaccompanied assignment - This assignment does not include support for accompanying partners or dependants
Women Entrepreneurship Project / INDECOS
SRI LANKA , Matara
EXPECTED DEPARTURE DATE:
Departure date is contingent upon completion of administrative file and approval of visa. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis and position will remain open until filled.
Uniterra is a leading Canadian international volunteer cooperation and development program, jointly implemented by the Centre for International Studies and Cooperation (CECI) and World University Service of Canada (WUSC).
Uniterra contributes to improving the socio-economic conditions of poor and marginalized communities in 14 countries and with over 200 partners in Africa, Asia and the Americas through the exchange of expertise and knowledge of Canadian and international volunteers. Uniterra believes that economic growth, when inclusive, is the most powerful driver of poverty reduction. The purpose of the Uniterra program is to improve the lives of some of the world’s most vulnerable populations by stimulating growth and facilitating access to the benefits of growing and diversified markets. To make this happen, we are working with our local partners to enhance the income of poor and marginalized women and youth through better access to employment and income generation opportunities. Uniterra country program staff work with our local partners to design Uniterra assignments in the context of the country strategy, supporting the inclusion of women and youth in key economic subsectors.
For more information on the Uniterra program, our approach and countries of focus please visit: Uniterra.ca
Women Entrepreneurship Program (WEP) is a flagship program of INDECOS, whose objective is to increase the income of self-employed women in the Southern region through micro financing and business development. WEP works with, encourages and provides support for unemployed or vulnerable women to start new businesses, often in support of the broader tourism sector. Matara is a major city in Sri Lanka, on the Southern coast of the Southern Province, 160 km from Colombo. It is a major commercial hub, and it is the administrative capital of Matara District.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide support in developing a business plan as well as a comprehensive marketing plan for the Women Entrepreneurship project;
- Create a communication/promotional strategy to improve the marketability of women entrepreneurs;
- Provide recommendations to strengthen the quality and diversification of products and designs of the existing products;
- Provide workshops and training on continuous supply and quality assurance to women producers;
- Contribute to introducing new products and exploring new national markets;
- Train staff in sales and marketing strategies;
- Ensure that a needs analysis and the evaluation process are conducted with equal input from both genders; and
- Adhere to the youth/social inclusion and gender equality strategies of Uniterra.
- Degree in business management with 2 years experience in business development
- Creativity and innovation with marketing strategies
- Experience working in a developing country would be an added advantage
- Strong personal initiative, resourcefulness and capacity to work independently as well as ability to work as part of a team
- Ability to work within a limited resource context
- Ready and enthusiastic to transfer knowledge and expertise while respecting the local culture
VOLUNTEER BENEFITS AND SUPPORT:
- Support and guidance prior to departure and while on assignment in country.
- Participation in a pre-departure training where you will have the opportunity to learn about the program, gain practical skills for living and working in an intercultural context and meet other volunteers. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- In-country orientation and briefing upon arrival in-country.
- Language training in-country where required.
- Return flights, visas and work permits.
- Cost of required country specific vaccinations and antimalarials.
- Health insurance.
- Modest monthly living allowance while overseas.
- Accommodation while overseas.
- Vacation leave entitlement.
- Return debriefing in Canada after completion of assignment. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- An incredible opportunity to enhance your professional skills and participate in an experience of a lifetime!
- Applicants must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada between the age of 18-70.
- Departure date is contingent upon the timely completion of all administrative requirements (e.g. visa processes, medical clearance, police checks, travel documentation).
- With the support of the program, all volunteers shall undertake to make a minimum financial contribution of $1,500 for participating in the program.
- You must ensure that you have a SYGESCA session open and that your profile contains a curriculum vitae before applying for the position.