TYPE OF ASSIGNMENT:
Volunteer Cooperant (VC/OS)
Unaccompanied assignment - This assignment does not include support for accompanying partners or dependants
Hanoi Open University
VIET NAM , Hanoi, Vietnam
EXPECTED DEPARTURE DATE:
Departure date is contingent upon completion of administrative file and approval of visa. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis and position will remain open until filled.
Uniterra is a leading Canadian international volunteer cooperation and development program, jointly implemented by the Centre for International Studies and Cooperation (CECI) and World University Service of Canada (WUSC).
Uniterra contributes to improving the socio-economic conditions of poor and marginalized communities in 14 countries and with over 200 partners in Africa, Asia and the Americas through the exchange of expertise and knowledge of Canadian and international volunteers. Uniterra believes that economic growth, when inclusive, is the most powerful driver of poverty reduction. The purpose of the Uniterra program is to improve the lives of some of the world’s most vulnerable populations by stimulating growth and facilitating access to the benefits of growing and diversified markets. To make this happen, we are working with our local partners to enhance the income of poor and marginalized women and youth through better access to employment and income generation opportunities. Uniterra country program staff work with our local partners to design Uniterra assignments in the context of the country strategy, supporting the inclusion of women and youth in key economic subsectors.
For more information on the Uniterra program, our approach and countries of focus, please visit: Uniterra.ca.
PARTNER DESCRIPTION: Hanoi Open University (HOU) is a public university which aims to provide high quality, open learning opportunities for students, and to address the diverse learning needs of society by providing multidisciplinary and multi-level on-campus and distance training programs. HOU has become a reliable training institution, and is comprised of 10 research centres and 12 training faculties, and offers 16 programs at the undergraduate level and 5 programs at the Master’s level. For more information, please visit http://en.hou.edu.vn/.
The Faculty of Tourism (FOT) aims to carry activities related to promotion and public relations to ensure the faculty is widely known by the public, the industry and potential students. FOT is seeking the support of a Public Relations Advisor to improve its Public Relations activities to increase enrolment, strengthen student engagement, and better engage key stakeholders.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work in collaboration with the faculty and staff to:
- Analyze the current Public Relations (PR) activities of the faculty;
- Create a long- term PR plan for the faculty with detailed descriptions of tasks, timelines and responsibilities;
- Create and design a promotional kit for FO;
- Hold seminars or workshops to train stakeholders, including the Student Press Club in PR skills and planning;
- Prepare and draft reports required by the host organization and the Uniterra program; and
- Ensure that when identifying channels for transmitting information equal importance is given to outreach to both genders.
- Experience in Public Relations, Communications, or Journalism/News Media
- Skilled in leveraging social media platforms and other media outlets
- Experience in organizing and/or facilitating workshops/ or trainings with participatory approaches
- Excellent communication skills
- Knowledge of the tourism industry is considered an asset.
- Work experience in multicultural environments is an asset
VOLUNTEER BENEFITS AND SUPPORT:
- Support and guidance prior to departure and while on assignment in country.
- Participation in a pre-departure training where you will have the opportunity to learn about the program, gain practical skills for living and working in an intercultural context and meet other volunteers. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- In-country orientation and briefing upon arrival in-country.
- Language training in-country where required.
- Return flights, visas and work permits.
- Cost of required country specific vaccinations and antimalarials.
- Health insurance.
- Modest monthly living allowance while overseas.
- Accommodation while overseas.
- Vacation leave entitlement.
- Return debriefing in Canada after completion of assignment. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- An incredible opportunity to enhance your professional skills and participate in an experience of a lifetime!
- Applicants must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada between the age of 18-70.
- Departure date is contingent upon the timely completion of all administrative requirements (e.g. visa processes, medical clearance, police checks, travel documentation).
- With the support of the program, all volunteers shall undertake to make a minimum financial contribution of $1,500 for participating in the program.
- You must ensure that you have a SYGESCA session open and that your profile contains a curriculum vitae before applying for the position.