TYPE OF ASSIGNMENT:
Volunteer Cooperant (VC/OS)
Unaccompanied assignment - This assignment does not include support for accompanying partners or dependants
Ruhunu Tourism Bureau
SRI LANKA , Galle
EXPECTED DEPARTURE DATE:
Departure date is contingent upon completion of administrative file and approval of visa. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis and position will remain open until filled.
Uniterra is a leading Canadian international volunteer cooperation and development program, jointly implemented by the Centre for International Studies and Cooperation (CECI) and World University Service of Canada (WUSC).
Uniterra contributes to improving the socio-economic conditions of poor and marginalized communities in 14 countries and with over 200 partners in Africa, Asia and the Americas through the exchange of expertise and knowledge of Canadian and international volunteers. Uniterra believes that economic growth, when inclusive, is the most powerful driver of poverty reduction. The purpose of the Uniterra program is to improve the lives of some of the world’s most vulnerable populations by stimulating growth and facilitating access to the benefits of growing and diversified markets. To make this happen, we are working with our local partners to enhance the income of poor and marginalized women and youth through better access to employment and income generation opportunities. Uniterra country program staff work with our local partners to design Uniterra assignments in the context of the country strategy, supporting the inclusion of women and youth in key economic sub sectors.
For more information on the Uniterra program, our approach and countries of focus please visit: Uniterra.ca
Ruhunu Tourism Bureau (RTB) is a provincial authority designed to encourage, promote and develop tourist travel to and within the southern province in conformity with the National Plan and National Policy for tourism. RTB’s mission is to develop and promote tourism in the southern region of Sri Lanka in a sustainable manner, under the guidance of a national strategy with effective community participation in order to enhance the national economy and preserve the natural, cultural and ecological values.
Galle is a major city in Sri Lanka, situated on the South Western tip, 119 km from Colombo. Galle is the administrative capital of Southern Province, Sri Lanka and is the district capital of Galle District. Southern Sri Lanka is very popular for its own type tourism attraction. The region is popular for Archaeological tourism, Community tourism, Historical tourism, Nature tourism, etc. RTB is working with stakeholders in Southern Sri Lanka to develop and promote eco-tourism in the region.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop an Eco-Tourism framework and guidelines for the Southern province by studying existing Eco-Tourism projects and making recommendations for existing and potential projects;
- Train and guide villagers in select areas of the framework;
- Ensure that a needs analysis and evaluation process are conducted with input from both genders;
- Share best practices for successful Eco-Tourism projects; and
- Promote the accessibility and participation of women and men, especially young women and young men, in all program activities.
- Degree in tourism or related field
- Knowledge of eco-tourism
- Excellent written communication skills in English
- Knowledge of tourism promotion
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Sense of humor, cultural sensitivity and openness to cross cultural exchange
VOLUNTEER BENEFITS AND SUPPORT:
- Support and guidance prior to departure and while on assignment in country.
- Participation in a pre-departure training where you will have the opportunity to learn about the program, gain practical skills for living and working in an intercultural context and meet other volunteers. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- In-country orientation and briefing upon arrival in-country.
- Language training in-country where required.
- Return flights, visas and work permits.
- Cost of required country specific vaccinations and antimalarials.
- Health insurance.
- Modest monthly living allowance while overseas.
- Accommodation while overseas.
- Vacation leave entitlement.
- Return debriefing in Canada after completion of assignment. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- An incredible opportunity to enhance your professional skills and participate in an experience of a lifetime!
- Applicants must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada between the age of 18-70.
- Departure date is contingent upon the timely completion of all administrative requirements (e.g. visa processes, medical clearance, police checks, travel documentation).
- With the support of the program, all volunteers shall undertake to make a minimum financial contribution of $1,500 for participating in the program.
- You must ensure that you have a SYGESCA session open and that your profile contains a curriculum vitae before applying for the position.