TYPE OF ASSIGNMENT:
Volunteer Cooperant (VC/OS)
Unaccompanied assignment - This assignment does not include support for accompanying partners or dependants
ART AND GLOBAL HEALTH CENTRE AFRICA
MALAWI , Zomba
EXPECTED DEPARTURE DATE:
The expected start date and duration are flexible and subject to change. The departure date is contingent upon completion of administrative file and approval of visa. Please note that we are currently recruiting for Summer 2019 assignments
February 5, 2019
Uniterra is a leading Canadian international volunteer cooperation and development program, jointly implemented by the Centre for International Studies and Cooperation (CECI) and World University Service of Canada (WUSC).
Uniterra contributes to improving the socio-economic conditions of poor and marginalized communities in 14 countries and with over 170 partners in Africa, Asia and the Americas through the exchange of expertise and knowledge of Canadian and international volunteers. Uniterra believes that economic growth, when inclusive, is the most powerful driver of poverty reduction. The purpose of the Uniterra program is to improve the lives of some of the world’s most vulnerable populations by stimulating growth and facilitating access to the benefits of growing and diversified markets. To make this happen, we are working with our local partners to enhance the income of poor and marginalized women and youth through better access to employment and income generation opportunities. Uniterra country program staff work with our local partners to design Uniterra assignments in the context of the country strategy, supporting the inclusion of women and youth in key economic subsectors.
For more information on the Uniterra program, our approach and countries of focus please visit: Uniterra.ca.
The Art and Global Health Centre Africa (ArtGlo) is a non-profit organisation committed to nurturing healthy, empowered, open and active communities in Malawi. Artglo aims to foster creative leadership in Malawian youth and implement innovative arts-based health-oriented programs. This is done through the values of creativity and innovation, and belief in the power of collaboration and the transformative influence of the arts. All of the Centre’s programs are developed organically based on the needs and assets of the communities they serve, specifically working with university students and communities in southern Malawi. To learn more visit www.aghcafrica.org
The Partnership and Networking Officer will support ArtGlo in establishing formal relationships, partnerships and networking opportunities to continue to grow and expand their organization.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Support ArtGlow staff in conducting assessments of current partnership and stakeholder relationships (including funding, technical, advisory and implementing partners);
- Assess existing and potential networks through internal consultations and meetings with key stakeholders and other relevant forums working in women empowerment and gender equality;
- Work with ArtGlow staff to assess potential partnerships and develop a draft Partnership Development Strategy that will enable ArtGlo to work with organizations in youth empowerment;
- Create a partner reporting system whereby each partner is kept fully updated on the impact of their support through emailers, youtube links and a standard monthly update on all the programs;
- Ensure the participation of women and youth, as well as their representation, in all activities of and all program benefits; and
- Write reports required by ArtGlo and the Uniterra program.
- Pursuing a University degree in International Development, Communications or any other relevant field
- Work, academic, internship or volunteer experience in the area of social media and marketing would be a significant advantage;
- Work, academic, internship or volunteer experience in the area of networking and coordinating between multiple actors would be an asset;
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in cross-cultural environments
- Written and oral fluency in English
VOLUNTEER BENEFITS AND SUPPORT:
- Support and guidance prior to departure and while on assignment in country.
- Participation in a pre-departure training where you will have the opportunity to learn about the program, gain practical skills for living and working in an intercultural context and meet other volunteers. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- In-country orientation and briefing upon arrival in-country.
- Language training in-country where required.
- Return flights, visas and work permits.
- Cost of required country specific vaccinations and antimalarials.
- Health insurance.
- Modest monthly living allowance while overseas.
- Accommodation while overseas.
- Vacation leave entitlement.
- Return debriefing in Canada after completion of assignment. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- An incredible opportunity to enhance your professional skills and participate in an experience of a lifetime!
- Send us your Curriculum vitae, and a cover letter at the attention of Students Without Borders at firstname.lastname@example.org
FOR APPLICATIONS TO THE STUDENT WITHOUT BORDERS PROGRAM:
This position is open to Canadian citizens and permanent residents. If you are not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, you may still be eligible to apply. Please contact email@example.com for further information.
To apply, send us your Curriculum vitae, letter of motivation, and two letters of reference to the attention of Students Without Borders at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Successful candidates will be expected to make a financial contribution of $5000.00 to the Uniterra program. With this contribution being made, Uniterra will cover applicable costs, such as: flights, accommodations, a monthly living allowance, vaccinations, visas, and medical insurance coverage.
If you are in an academic program that is partnered with Uniterra, the conditions of your application and financial contribution may differ. Please follow the instructions you've received from your academic program, or contact email@example.com for further information.