TYPE OF ASSIGNMENT:
Volunteer Cooperant (VC/OS)
Unaccompanied assignment - This assignment does not include support for accompanying partners or dependants
WUSC / EUMC Sri Lanka
SRI LANKA , Colombo
EXPECTED DEPARTURE DATE:
Departure date is contingent upon completion of administrative file and approval of visa. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis and position will remain open until filled.
Advancing Specialized Skills for Economic Transformation (ASSET) is a multi-year vocational training reform project, launched in 2014 and continuing until 2019. Sri Lanka has set ambitious economic growth targets. The country’s economic performance is dependent on a supply of well-trained Sri Lankans to work in its key economic drivers – tourism and hospitality, construction, information technology and automotive industries.
The ASSET project supports Sri Lanka’s economic development plan through improving linkages between private sector, government and training providers. ASSET links the human resource needs of growing businesses to those individuals wanting to enter the workforce but lacking the appropriate skills. The project connects unemployed youth to training for existing jobs. Technical assistance interventions ensure training meets private sector needs and standards. In order to improve public perceptions concerning skilled trades, a social marketing and communications campaign will be conducted both regionally and nationally.
Under the ASSET project, WUSC has supported the creation and/or revitalization of sector specific associations referred to as Business Stakeholder Forums (BSFs). BSFs are situated at both the district and regional levels for each of the four sectors and are intended to be linked to national level Sector Skills Councils. The BSFs play a vital role in supporting the identification of labor needs in the various sectors and support the relevance and effectiveness of training programs. As part of WUSC support for the development of the BSFs, strategic plans are being prioritized and developed for these bodies in order to streamline their operations and make them run more effectively.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Review the internal, external, and competitive analysis to ascertain the organization's strategic strengths and opportunities.
- Evaluate strategic options including feasibility studies and cost benefit analysis.
- Make sure that the strategic options are abreast of industry trends, best practices, and creative techniques.
- Work collaboratively with WUSC staff and partners in the planning process.
- Support the development of tailored strategic plans for the BSFs.
- Ensure gender equality and social/ youth inclusion in all activities.
- Specialization in strategic business management or marketing related studies;
- 3 years of experience in strategic planning and business management;
- Previous experience in one of the following secotors: tourism and hospitality, construction, information technology and automotive industries. would be an asset;
- Strategic vision and strong analytical capabilities;
- Cultural sensitivity, strong interpersonal and communication skills;
- Strong personal initiative, resourcefulness and capacity to work independently;
- Strong communication and writing skills.
VOLUNTEER BENEFITS AND SUPPORT:
- Support and guidance prior to departure and while on assignment in country.
- Participation in a pre-departure training where you will have the opportunity to learn about the program, gain practical skills for living and working in an intercultural context and meet other volunteers. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- In-country orientation and briefing upon arrival in-country.
- Language training in-country where required.
- Return flights, visas and work permits.
- Cost of required country specific vaccinations and antimalarials.
- Comprehensive health insurance.
- Modest monthly living allowance while overseas.
- Accommodation while overseas.
- Vacation leave entitlement.
- Return debriefing in Canada after completion of assignment. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- An incredible opportunity to enhance your professional skills and participate in an experience of a lifetime!
- Applicants must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada between the age of 18-70.
- Departure date is contingent upon the timely completion of all administrative requirements (e.g. visa processes, medical clearance, police checks, travel documentation).
- With the support of the program, all volunteers shall undertake to make a minimum financial contribution of $1,500 for participating in the program.
- You must ensure that you have a SYGESCA session open and that your profile contains a curriculum vitae before applying for the position.