TYPE OF ASSIGNMENT:
Volunteer Cooperant (VC/OS)
Unaccompanied assignment - This assignment does not include support for accompanying partners or dependants
TIMVENI Radio station
MALAWI , Lilongwe
EXPECTED DEPARTURE DATE:
The expected start date and duration are flexible and subject to change. The departure date is contingent upon completion of administrative file and approval of visa. Please note that we are currently recruiting for Summer 2019 assignments
February 5, 2019
Uniterra is a leading Canadian international volunteer cooperation and development program, jointly implemented by the Centre for International Studies and Cooperation (CECI) and World University Service of Canada (WUSC).
Uniterra contributes to improving the socio-economic conditions of poor and marginalized communities in 14 countries and with over 170 partners in Africa, Asia and the Americas through the exchange of expertise and knowledge of Canadian and international volunteers. Uniterra believes that economic growth, when inclusive, is the most powerful driver of poverty reduction. The purpose of the Uniterra program is to improve the lives of some of the world’s most vulnerable populations by stimulating growth and facilitating access to the benefits of growing and diversified markets. To make this happen, we are working with our local partners to enhance the income of poor and marginalized women and youth through better access to employment and income generation opportunities. Uniterra country program staff work with our local partners to design Uniterra assignments in the context of the country strategy, supporting the inclusion of women and youth in key economic subsectors.
For more information on the Uniterra program, our approach and countries of focus please visit: Uniterra.ca.
Timveni is a youth media organization working to empower youth to understand their human rights and responsibilities as citizens. Timveni has evolved from a radio project to an independent institution and acts as a platform for youth to discuss challenges in their communities. Timveni encourages youth to make observations, integrate these observations into a positive world view, and express them through words packaged as speeches, music and other creative expressions. Timveni is able to facilitate engagement between youth within and across districts to communicate their views to decision makers in Malawi via the Timveni Radio and Timveni Television platforms.
The Media Business Officer will support Uniterra program objectives and TIMVENI by supporting the expansion of business opportunities and improvement of processes
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work with TIMVENI on market research to identify new business opportunities;
- Work with TIMVENI staff to set up sales and marketing coordination tools and communication channels to enable effective collaboration and keep clients and staff informed of new products
- Support in identifying and developing partnerships with clients and building relationships with key stakeholders (media houses, prominent social media profiles and others) for more visibility
- Ensure the participation of women and youth, as well as their representation, in all activities of and all program benefits; and
- Write reports required by Timveni and the Uniterra program.
- Pursuing a University degree in Social Science, Business Administration, Marketing, or any other relevant field
- Work, academic, internship or volunteer experience in the area of market research, sales, social media marketing are assets
- Experience in working within multicultural teams
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in cross-cultural environments
- Written and oral fluency in English
VOLUNTEER BENEFITS AND SUPPORT:
- Support and guidance prior to departure and while on assignment in country.
- Participation in a pre-departure training where you will have the opportunity to learn about the program, gain practical skills for living and working in an intercultural context and meet other volunteers. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- In-country orientation and briefing upon arrival in-country.
- Language training in-country where required.
- Return flights, visas and work permits.
- Cost of required country specific vaccinations and antimalarials.
- Health insurance.
- Modest monthly living allowance while overseas.
- Accommodation while overseas.
- Vacation leave entitlement.
- Return debriefing in Canada after completion of assignment. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- An incredible opportunity to enhance your professional skills and participate in an experience of a lifetime!
- Send us your Curriculum vitae, and a cover letter at the attention of Students Without Borders at firstname.lastname@example.org
FOR APPLICATIONS TO THE STUDENT WITHOUT BORDERS PROGRAM:
This position is open to Canadian citizens and permanent residents. If you are not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, you may still be eligible to apply. Please contact email@example.com for further information.
To apply, send us your Curriculum vitae, letter of motivation, and two letters of reference to the attention of Students Without Borders at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Successful candidates will be expected to make a financial contribution of $5000.00 to the Uniterra program. With this contribution being made, Uniterra will cover applicable costs, such as: flights, accommodations, a monthly living allowance, vaccinations, visas, and medical insurance coverage.
If you are in an academic program that is partnered with Uniterra, the conditions of your application and financial contribution may differ. Please follow the instructions you've received from your academic program, or contact email@example.com for further information.