TYPE OF ASSIGNMENT:
Volunteer Cooperant (VC/OS)
Unaccompanied assignment - This assignment does not include support for accompanying partners or dependants
Malawi Microfinance Network
MALAWI , Lilongwe
EXPECTED DEPARTURE DATE:
Departure date is contingent upon completion of administrative file and approval of visa. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis and position will remain open until filled.
Uniterra is a leading Canadian international volunteer cooperation and development program, jointly implemented by the Centre for International Studies and Cooperation (CECI) and World University Service of Canada (WUSC).
Uniterra contributes to improving the socio-economic conditions of poor and marginalized communities in 14 countries and with over 200 partners in Africa, Asia and the Americas through the exchange of expertise and knowledge of Canadian and international volunteers. Uniterra believes that economic growth, when inclusive, is the most powerful driver of poverty reduction. The purpose of the Uniterra program is to improve the lives of some of the world’s most vulnerable populations by stimulating growth and facilitating access to the benefits of growing and diversified markets. To make this happen, we are working with our local partners to enhance the income of poor and marginalized women and youth through better access to employment and income generation opportunities. Uniterra country program staff work with our local partners to design Uniterra assignments in the context of the country strategy, supporting the inclusion of women and youth in key economic subsectors.
For more information on the Uniterra program, our approach and countries of focus please visit: Uniterra.ca
Under the direction of the Uniterra Country Coordinator, and in close collaboration with the Country Office team, the Gender Advisor volunteer will contribute to the implementation of the Uniterra program Gender Strategy, and work in close collaboration with Uniterra partners and other program development volunteers.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Collaborate with local partners to develop strategies and tools to increase the participation of women and female youth, and promote their increased access to and control over services and products;
- Support the Uniterra Malawi team in working with local, regional and national leaders in gender equality by actively participating in gender equality networks;
- Develop and facilitate training and learning opportunities for in-country Uniterra staff, volunteers and partners on gender equality;
- Develop tools and create case studies of best practices in gender mainstreaming;
- Share relevant tools, lessons learned and recommendations with the global network of Uniterra Gender Advisor volunteers;
- Ensure the participation and representation of women and youth in all program benefits and activities;
- Produce reports required by the Uniterra program.
- Advanced degree and/or formal training in gender studies, international development, social sciences or a related discipline
- Passionate and knowledgeable about gender equality and inclusion
- 3-5 years of experience in a related area of work
- Ability to deliver gender equality training at institutional and sectoral levels
- Experience in participatory training methodologies
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills in English
- Adaptability, flexibility, excellent team working skills and cultural sensitivity
- International development experience a strong asset
VOLUNTEER BENEFITS AND SUPPORT:
- Support and guidance prior to departure and while on assignment in country.
- Participation in a pre-departure training where you will have the opportunity to learn about the program, gain practical skills for living and working in an intercultural context and meet other volunteers. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- In-country orientation and briefing upon arrival in-country.
- Language training in-country where required.
- Return flights, visas and work permits.
- Cost of required country specific vaccinations and antimalarials.
- Health insurance.
- Modest monthly living allowance while overseas.
- Accommodation while overseas.
- Vacation leave entitlement.
- Return debriefing in Canada after completion of assignment. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- An incredible opportunity to enhance your professional skills and participate in an experience of a lifetime!
- Applicants must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada between the age of 18-70.
- Departure date is contingent upon the timely completion of all administrative requirements (e.g. visa processes, medical clearance, police checks, travel documentation).
- With the support of the program, all volunteers shall undertake to make a minimum financial contribution of $1,500 for participating in the program.
- You must ensure that you have a SYGESCA session open and that your profile contains a curriculum vitae before applying for the position.