TYPE OF ASSIGNMENT:
Volunteer Cooperant (VC/OS)
Unaccompanied assignment - This assignment does not include support for accompanying partners or dependants
Venture Capital Trust Fund
GHANA , Accra
July 22, 2018
Uniterra is a leading Canadian international volunteer cooperation and development program, jointly implemented by the Centre for International Studies and Cooperation (CECI) and World University Service of Canada (WUSC).
Uniterra contributes to improving the socio-economic conditions of poor and marginalized communities in 14 countries and with over 170 partners in Africa, Asia and the Americas through the exchange of expertise and knowledge of Canadian and international volunteers. Uniterra believes that economic growth, when inclusive, is the most powerful driver of poverty reduction. The purpose of the Uniterra program is to improve the lives of some of the world’s most vulnerable populations by stimulating growth and facilitating access to the benefits of growing and diversified markets. To make this happen, we are working with our local partners to enhance the income of poor and marginalized women and youth through better access to employment and income generation opportunities. Uniterra country program staff work with our local partners to design Uniterra assignments in the context of the country strategy, supporting the inclusion of women and youth in key economic sub sectors.
For more information on the Uniterra program, our approach and countries of focus please visit: Uniterra.ca.
The International Seminar has connected youth from different parts of the world for the past seventy years, creating a space for the sharing of both experiences and knowledge. The 2018 International Seminar will focus on women in entrepreneurship and will be an opportunity for young entrepreneurs from Canada and the West Africa to come together to share experiences, develop knowledge and skills, and build networks. The group will be comprised of twenty young entrepreneurs, ten from Canada and ten from Ghana, who are in the early stages of building their business or social business ventures. The two-week program will provide the young entrepreneurs the opportunity to foster and strengthen their entrepreneurial skills through peer-to-peer mentorship, learning, and cross-cultural collaboration. The participants will also take part in guided programming that aims to build general entrepreneurial attitudes and address issues facing women in entrepreneurship.
The 2018 International Seminar will take place in Accra, Ghana, from October 14th-27th. All International Seminar participants must participate in a mandatory pre-departure training that will take place in the days leading up to the Seminar.
For more information about the Seminar, please visit our website: http://uniterra.ca/en/volunteering/international-seminar.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Take part in conversations, online meetups and activities with other International Seminar participants prior to departure
- Actively participate in workshops and trainings during the Seminar aimed at strengthening entrepreneurial skills
- Share best practices and lessons learned about your business and experience as an entrepreneur with other participants
- Share and exchange with Seminar participants on barriers to entrepreneurship for women and youth in both Canada and Ghana
- In collaboration with the other participants, develop recommendations to the Uniterra program on how best to support young female entrepreneurs
- Share your seminar experience during outreach activities (including the International Forum 2019) upon your return to Canada
- Prepare and draft reports as required by the Seminar coordinators and the Uniterra program
- Make a financial contribution of $1500 to participate in the International Seminar.
- Please note that some time will be allocated to work on your venture during the Seminar, however you must be able to commit to all Seminar activities.
- Hold Canadian citizenship or permanent residency status;
- Identify as youth (be between the ages of 18 and 35);
- Have a business venture or startup in the incubation or infancy stage
- Interest in exploring and discussing barriers that women in entrepreneurship face both in Canada and Ghana
- Interest in international development and international issues;
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment
- Strong teamwork skills
- Demonstrated flexibility and adaptability in new situations;
- Interest in creating cross-cultural connections and networks;
- Demonstrated analytical and problem solving skills;
- Proficiency in written and oral English.
ESTIMATED COSTS (Please note that the following expenses will be covered by the program):
- Support and guidance prior to departure and while on assignment in country.
- Participation in a pre-departure training where you will have the opportunity to learn about the program, gain practical skills for living and working in an intercultural context and meet other volunteers. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- Return Flights and visa.
- Cost of required country specific vaccinations and antimalarials.
- Health insurance.
- Modest monthly living allowance while overseas.
- Accommodation while overseas.
- Any in-country travel or visits related to the international Seminar program
- An incredible opportunity to enhance your professional skills and participate in an experience of a lifetime!
Selected International Seminar participants must agree to make a financial contribution of $1500 to participate in the program. This amount is mandatory and can be paid by personal contribution or fundraising. Fundraising ideas and guidance will be provided to all participants.
The application should include the following documents:
CV; Cover letter; A short description of your venture that include the following (maximum 3 pages):
- Describe your enterprise or business venture
- What have been and are your motivations driving your venture?
- What have been some obstacles or barriers and what strategies have you implemented to overcome them?
- What long-term impacts do you expect to achieve?
- Any other relevant information to help us understand your drive and aspirations.
Eligible and interested Seminar applicants should submit the following documents and forms by July 15th , 2018.
Send your completed application to the Uniterra International Seminar team by email at firstname.lastname@example.org