TYPE OF ASSIGNMENT:
Volunteer Cooperant (VC/OS)
Unaccompanied assignment - This assignment does not include support for accompanying partners or dependants
NEPAL , Kathmandu
EXPECTED DEPARTURE DATE:
Departure date is contingent upon completion of administrative file and approval of visa. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis and position will remain open until filled.
The Sustainable Use of Technology for Public Sector Accountability in Nepal (SUSASAN) Project is designed to complement ongoing initiatives and programs at the national level and in targeted districts related to local governance and social accountability, as well as the ongoing recovery and rehabilitation programs in the government's reconstruction efforts, following a major earthquake in April 2015. The SUSASAN project will work with Municipal and Rural governments in six districts: Sindhupalchok, Lalitpur, Kailali, Dadeldhura, Achham and Bajhang of two provinces (3 and 7) along with the federal and provincial government.
The project involves four components (1) Enhancing Citizen Engagement and Influence; (2) Establishment of Techno Hubs; (3) E-Governance Capacity Building and Accountability as well as; (4) Project Management. It focuses on addressing digital technology gaps and develop specific strategies to reach particular marginalized groups, defined as gender (i.e. women), youth, caste (i.e. Dalit), vulnerability (i.e. persons with disabilities), indigenous (i.e. Tharu), ethnic minorities (i.e. Adibasi Janjati), minority groups (i.e. Muslims) and geographically excluded and extreme poverty communities.
Freedom Forum (FF) is a collective initiative of policy researchers, advocates and academics committed to democracy, human rights, freedom of the press and equality. The mission of this organization is to safeguard the fundamental freedom of citizens in compliance with democratic norms and values.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- In Collaboration with the FF team and SUSASAN Project local team:
- Contribute to the design and implementation of various events and campaigns; Review various research/study/survey reports (for quality of writing, accuracy in data analysis and interpretation);
- Contribute to the design and implementation of key national and local partner institutional documents (ie. communication plans, capacity building plans, training manuals and policy documents);
- Develop event notes and quality reports as per the project mandate;
- Provide support in data visualization, knowledge management and dissemination;
- Provide support in developing content and design for publications;
- Participate in capacity building workshops;
- Document and share best practices on democracy, governance and accountability
- Degree in Communications, Marketing, Political Science, Development Studies, Social Science, Public Administration or other related studies;
- Excellent communications and writing skills
- Experience in the development and implementation of communication activities and materials
- Experience in event planning and management is an asset;
- Prior experience working in governance, transparency, accountability issues, digital governance, and citizen engagement is an asset;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Ensure that gender mainstreaming and inclusion strategies are integrated in all activities.
VOLUNTEER BENEFITS AND SUPPORT:
- Support and guidance prior to departure and while on assignment in country.
- Participation in a pre-departure training where you will have the opportunity to learn about the program, gain practical skills for living and working in an intercultural context and meet other volunteers. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- In-country orientation and briefing upon arrival in-country.
- Language training in-country where required.
- Return flights, visas and work permits.
- Cost of required country specific vaccinations and antimalarials.
- Health insurance.
- Modest monthly living allowance while overseas.
- Accommodation while overseas.
- Vacation leave entitlement.
- Return debriefing in Canada after completion of assignment. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- An incredible opportunity to enhance your professional skills and participate in an experience of a lifetime!
- Applicants must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada between the age of 18-70.
- Departure date is contingent upon the timely completion of all administrative requirements (e.g. visa processes, medical clearance, police checks, travel documentation).
- With the support of the program, all volunteers shall undertake to make a minimum financial contribution of $1,500 for participating in the program.
- You must ensure that you have a SYGESCA session open and that your profile contains a curriculum vitae before applying for the position.