TYPE OF ASSIGNMENT:
Volunteer Cooperant (VC/OS)
Unaccompanied assignment - This assignment does not include support for accompanying partners or dependants
Movimiento de la economía solidaria y comercio justo en Bolivia
BOLIVIA , La Paz
EXPECTED DEPARTURE DATE:
Departure date is contingent upon completion of administrative file and approval of visa. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis and position will remain open until filled.
Uniterra is a leading Canadian international volunteer cooperation and development program, jointly implemented by the Centre for International Studies and Cooperation (CECI) and World University Service of Canada (WUSC).
Uniterra contributes to improving the socio-economic conditions of poor and marginalized communities in 14 countries and with over 200 partners in Africa, Asia and the Americas through the exchange of expertise and knowledge of Canadian and international volunteers. Uniterra believes that economic growth, when inclusive, is the most powerful driver of poverty reduction. The purpose of the Uniterra program is to improve the lives of some of the world’s most vulnerable populations by stimulating growth and facilitating access to the benefits of growing and diversified markets. To make this happen, we are working with our local partners to enhance the income of poor and marginalized women and youth through better access to employment and income generation opportunities. Uniterra country program staff work with our local partners to design Uniterra assignments in the context of the country strategy, supporting the inclusion of women and youth in key economic subsectors.
For more information on the Uniterra program, our approach and countries of focus please visit: Uniterra.ca
The Movimiento de la Economía Solidaria y Comercio Justo en Bolivia (MESyCJ), was established as a representative body for the country's producers. It is a network of organizations dedicated to the promotion of the social and solidarity economy in nine regions of Bolivia, in both urban and rural regions. MESyCJ's mission is to promote, develop and publicize the social economy and fair trade. It is also intended to be a point of reference within the sector at the national and international levels. Solidarity, transparency and mutual respect are among its principles and basic values. The MESyCJ is madup of 75 organisations of producers, associations and other civil society organisations.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Under the direction of the Uniterra country coordinator and in coordination with the Uniterra program officer, the volunteer shall contribute to the implementation of Uniterra’s youth strategy.
- Support the completion of an analysis of the current status of youth in the program’s sectors, which will contribute to identifying the opportunities and obstacles confronted by youth in these sectors of Bolivian society
- Facilitate the identification of the principal organizations working for youth inclusion in Bolivia, be it in the public sector, civil society or the private sector
- Support and coach partners in the elaboration and implementation of strategies and tools on youth inclusion and engagement, particularly as regards needs which often differ in accordance with a young person’s gender
- Support the development of training and learning opportunities for Uniterra Bolivia personnel, Uniterra partners and other volunteers re youth inclusion and youth entrepreneurship
- Support the documentation and dissemination of good practices based on the Uniterra program’s experiences in Bolivia and on the experiences of partners that work directly with young entrepreneurs
- Support the creation of tools for raising awareness regarding the importance of youth inclusion in the country’s economy
- Enhance the adaptability of the services provided in accordance with the needs of female members, male members and youth of both genders
- Consolidate the results, document best practices and participate in the implementation of exit strategies.
- Produce reports for the partner and the Uniterra program, as required
- University degree in a relevant field (eg social work, social sciences, international development).
- Have at least two years of experience in youth-oriented community development (eg, youth entrepreneurship, youth engagement).
- Possess experience in research and data collection and information.
- Have experience in learning and training using a participatory approach.
- Experience in international development would be an asset.
- Have excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to adapt, flexibility, excellent teamwork skills and sensitivity to cultural realities.
- Mastery of the Spanish language
VOLUNTEER BENEFITS AND SUPPORT:
- Support and guidance prior to departure and while on assignment in country.
- Participation in a pre-departure training where you will have the opportunity to learn about the program, gain practical skills for living and working in an intercultural context and meet other volunteers. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- In-country orientation and briefing upon arrival in-country.
- Language training in-country where required.
- Return flights, visas and work permits.
- Cost of required country specific vaccinations and antimalarials.
- Health insurance.
- Modest monthly living allowance while overseas.
- Accommodation while overseas.
- Vacation leave entitlement.
- Return debriefing in Canada after completion of assignment. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- An incredible opportunity to enhance your professional skills and participate in an experience of a lifetime!
- Applicants must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada between the age of 18-70.
- Departure date is contingent upon the timely completion of all administrative requirements (e.g. visa processes, medical clearance, police checks, travel documentation).
- With the support of the program, all volunteers shall undertake to make a minimum financial contribution of $1,500 for participating in the program.
- You must ensure that you have a SYGESCA session open and that your profile contains a curriculum vitae before applying for the position.