TYPE OF ASSIGNMENT:
Volunteer Cooperant (VC/OS)
Unaccompanied assignment - This assignment does not include support for accompanying partners or dependants
Asociación de Mujeres en Café
GUATEMALA , Guatemala Department
EXPECTED DEPARTURE DATE:
The expected start date and duration are flexible and subject to change. The departure date is contingent upon completion of administrative file and approval of visa. Please note that we are currently recruiting for Summer 2019 assignments
February 3, 2019
Uniterra is a leading Canadian international volunteer cooperation and development program, jointly implemented by the Centre for International Studies and Cooperation (CECI) and World University Service of Canada (WUSC).
Uniterra contributes to improving the socio-economic conditions of poor and marginalized communities in 14 countries and with over 200 partners in Africa, Asia and the Americas through the exchange of expertise and
knowledge of Canadian and international volunteers. Uniterra believes that economic growth, when inclusive, is the most powerful driver of poverty reduction. The purpose of the Uniterra program is to improve the lives of some of the world’s most vulnerable populations by stimulating growth and facilitating access to the benefits of growing and diversified markets. To make this happen, we are working with our local partners to enhance the income of poor and marginalized women and youth through better access to employment and income generation opportunities. Uniterra country program staff work with our local partners to design Uniterra assignments in the context of the country strategy, supporting the inclusion of women and youth in key economic subsectors.
For more information on the Uniterra program, our approach and countries of focus please visit: Uniterra.ca
The Asociación de Mujeres en Café (Women in Coffee Association) has the mission of strengthening the productive and business capacities of its members, in order to promote profitable and competitive coffee companies and has the vision of being recognized as the national and international leader for creating opportunities for women in the coffee industry in Guatemala, improving their own lives, and the ones of their families and communities.
Currently, the Association is in need of updating their strategic plan, including the implementation strategy.
More information on http://mujerescafeguatemala.org/
Currently, the Association is looking for a volunteer to support on the gender equality aspect of their projects and to increase the skills of their members in that sector.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist in conducting a gender analysis of the organization and conduct research on gender norms;
- Promote gender equality through facilitating gender-awareness workshops for staff or members;
- Support the development of economic empowerment tools for women;
- Conduct research to explore areas of economic opportunities for women at the local and national level;
- Increase women's employability by facilitating training on employment skills (eg resume writing skills, preparing for an interview, etc.);
- Ensure the participation of women and youth, as well as their representation, in all activities of and all program benefits;
- Write reports required by partners and the Uniterra program.
- Recent graduate or pursuing degree in International Development, Gender Studies or any other relevant field
- Knowledge of gender equality and strategies in international development
- Understanding of economic empowerment
- Knowledge of international development and women’s rights issues
- Experience working within multicultural teams
- Experience facilitating workshops and other capacity-building related work
- Ability to work in an intercultural environment
- Ability to work independently and in a team
- Intermediate level of Spanish required
VOLUNTEER BENEFITS AND SUPPORT:
- Support and guidance prior to departure and while on assignment in country.
- Participation in a pre-departure training where you will have the opportunity to learn about the program, gain practical skills for living and working in an intercultural context and meet other volunteers. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- In-country orientation and briefing upon arrival in-country.
- Language training in-country where required.
- Return flights, visas and work permits.
- Cost of required country specific vaccinations and antimalarials.
- Health insurance.
- Modest monthly living allowance while overseas.
- Accommodation while overseas.
- Vacation leave entitlement.
- Return debriefing in Canada after completion of assignment. Travel, meals and accommodation are covered.
- An incredible opportunity to enhance your professional skills and participate in an experience of a lifetime!
- Send us your Curriculum vitae, and a cover letter at the attention of Students Without Borders at email@example.com
FOR APPLICATIONS TO THE STUDENT WITHOUT BORDERS PROGRAM:
This position is open to Canadian citizens and permanent residents. If you are not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, you may still be eligible to apply. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
To apply, send us your Curriculum vitae, letter of motivation, and two letters of reference to the attention of Students Without Borders at email@example.com .
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Successful candidates will be expected to make a financial contribution of $5000.00 to the Uniterra program. With this contribution being made, Uniterra will cover applicable costs, such as: flights, accommodations, a monthly living allowance, vaccinations, visas, and medical insurance coverage.
If you are in an academic program that is partnered with Uniterra, the conditions of your application and financial contribution may differ. Please follow the instructions you've received from your academic program, or contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.